Welcome to the Homepage of
576 Squadron - RAF
576 Squadron was formed at RAF Elsham Wolds at the end of November 1943 and flew Avro Lancaster bombers throughout the remainder of WW2. The Squadron was created as part of 1 Group Bomber Command from the detached C Flight of 103 Squadron also based at RAF Elsham Wolds plus several more experienced crews from 101 Squadron at Ludford Magna. The remainder of the Squadron was made up of new crews posted in from Heavy Conversion Units.
Throughout the remainder of the winter of 43 and the spring of 44 576 Squadron was engaged in operations against mostly German targets by night. The emphasis changed in May 1944 when the Squadron was heavily involved in operations in support of the D Day landings and the Allied Armies in the field. Also V weapon sites in Northern France were priority targets later that summer.
Prominent among the aircraft on the strength of the Squadron at that time was Lancaster ED888 - the top scoring heavy bomber that served with Bomber Command.
In October 1944 the Squadron was transferred to the airfield at RAF Fiskerton near Lincoln where it remained for the rest of the war.
576 Squadron played a significant roll in the 2 major Bomber Command Offensives during the later stages of WW2
The Battle of Berlin, 1943-44
France and Germany, 1944-45
Prominent amongst these attacks in April 1944, 576 Squadron contributed 18 Lancasters to the force of over 300 Bomber Command "heavies" which was sent to make the first ever raid on the German tank, V-weapons and aircraft factories at Friedrichshafen. This involved a very long flight over occupied Europe to a distant and well defended target.
Another notable attack in which 576 Sqn participated was on the 25th April 1945 against Hitler’s Mountain Retreat at Berchtesgaden. This was the last WW2 bomber operation undertaken by the Sqn.
At the end of WW2 576 Squadron was active in the Operation Manna food drops to Dutch civilians. 576 Squadron also took part in the repatriation of POWs from Europe and Operation Dodge - the repatriation of service personnel from Italy.
The Squadron was disbanded in September 1945 after a short and distinguished history.
Written by David Fell
This website and its content is copyright of David William Fell and/or the contributors. All rights reserved.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents of this website in any form is prohibited except for personal and private use.
You may not, except with my express written permission, distribute, post on the internet, publish in any form or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
General Enquiries to the the Web Master David W Fell